Sunday, November 2, 2008

Oh boy. I'm at the point in the time management cycle where I have enough awareness of what I've committed to do to be pretty upset and hopeless about getting it all done - which is perfect motivation for pruning the schedule and prioritizing. Unfortunately, I usually want to assess before I prune, and when I say assess, I mean "Make a list of everything I have going on, with lots of notes about how time-consuming and essential each activity is". I come from the "squeeze a small scratch to make it bleed so there's visual evidence that it really hurts" camp. This is otherwise known as melodrama.

So, with limited annotation this time (because it's the parenthetical phrases that are the most annoying!), here's the current list:

96 60 hours with preceptor before Dec. 3 for senior clinical rotation

Article review re: tele monitoring policies - 1 page paper

Discussion Board postings on Blackboard re: the older adult in the ICU, collective bargaining and the nursing profession, and spinal cord injury - post and respond (without mocking) to a classmate

ATI Pharmacology Online Exam before finals for points on Capstone final

Write Honors paper

Write agenda for November ANS board meeting

Pack for Reno!

Dig through the box of stuff from ANS predecessor before meeting other state presidents in Reno, so that I don't look like a dolt.

Work 12 hours per pay period to pay for trip to Reno, and groceries

Prepare for interviews on floors that I'm not super interested in

Set up interviews for units that I really want to work on

Take boxes of stuff to thrift store

Study for Capstone Final on Neuro, Renal, and Ortho

Go to PTA meeting

Pick kid up from school on my nights (more difficult than it sounds, since my nights have become increasingly erratic this semester)



that's not so bad, actually. I was feeling like I hadn't done much this weekend, because I didn't do the two things on my schedule - spend 4 hours on Honors paper, and send out November board mtg agenda. I did manage to get the kid to his soccer game where he won and had a great time, and go trick or treating with him where he was Harry Potter and had a great time, and make him carve a pumpkin with me, where I managed to not snatch the little knife out of his hand more than once and I think he had a great time! I also am surrounded with clean dishes drying on towels all over the counter, and clean laundry piled all over the dryer and desk. I spent four hours studying for the exam this week (and at least an hour debriefing from clinical with my study partner, which is a post in and of itself).

I didn't call my mom or my grandma. I also have not sent thank you notes for my August birthday presents and I think that I may have missed the window - to do so now smacks a bit of angling for good holiday gifts, somehow.

hmmm. spinach, feta and onion and then bed? agenda and spinach and then bed? bed? It's so bizarre to go off to clinical without doing a lick of preparation, compared to the first rotation when I would have been up this late just looking up drugs!

No comments: